After several years of rallying the community, Walk Austin and Bike Austin are thrilled to announce that our grassroots campaign for better walking and bicycling on Shoal Creek Boulevard has succeeded!
On Friday, the City of Austin announced the final designs for Shoal Creek and they include:
- 12 new pedestrian crossings
- Improvements to numerous existing crossings, including slip lane closures
- Several stretches of sidewalk improvements
- A two-way protected bicycle lane between 38th St and Foster Ln
- One-way protected bicycle lanes between Foster Ln and Hwy 183
- Numerous protected intersections
Find out more about the full list of improvements here.
For a list of project updates, including implementation, see here.
Having collected support for safer mobility on Shoal Creek from more than 3,000 residents, over 120 local businesses within a mile of Shoal Creek, and over 10 community organizations in the local area, Walk Austin and Bike Austin and our thousands of supporters thank the City of Austin for making the right decision on this critical transportation corridor. We look forward to seeing these plans implemented in the near future and most importantly to seeing more people, especially vulnerable road users, walk and bike along Shoal Creek and across Austin.
And, of course, a huge thank you to our many volunteers and supporters whose hard work helped make this victory happen. We truly appreciate all the help you gave. This success is yours…